Social distancing? Check. Rubbing sanitizer in your fingers until they really feel like they’re going to dry up and fall off? Check. Glovebox stuffed with masks? Check. While it seems such as you’ve received your bases principally lined within the struggle in opposition to COVID-19, sadly, wintertime additionally means the return of everybody’s different favourite virus – influenza. Since we’ve already talked about methods to inform the distinction between COVID-19 and the flu and methods to stop the flu right here, we’ve received some follow-up tips on what to do in case the sneaky bugger bypasses your protection.
Who Cares? It’s Just The Flu!
This appears to be a reasonably frequent sentiment, however anybody who has had a nasty case of influenza will let you know, it freaking sucks. And it may be lethal, notably in children underneath 5.
In case preliminary signs reminiscent of fever, body aches, deep cough, and dehydration don’t sound disagreeable sufficient, left untreated, the flu can grow to be additional problems, reminiscent of pneumonia and ear infections.
Why Are The First 48 Hours So Critical?
No, this isn’t a real crime documentary, however the first 48 hours are necessary in relation to the flu, too. Did you already know that antiviral drugs may be administered which may lower the period of flu signs, cut back the danger of problems reminiscent of bronchitis, ear infections and pneumonia, and most significantly, cut back a person’s probability of hospitalization or mortality?
Who Should Get An Antiviral Treatment?
What antivirals can be found?
There are 4 FDA-approved antiviral drugs recommended by CDC to deal with flu this season.
- Oseltamivir phosphate – (accessible as a generic model or underneath the commerce title Tamiflu)
- Baloxavir marboxil – (commerce title Xofluza) it’s only one tablet for sooner or later vs. Oseltamivir phosphate which is a 5 day remedy. Reported uncomfortable side effects are nausea so it’s a good suggestion to ask your physician for anti-nausea treatment if that is prescribed.
- Peramivir – (commerce title Rapivab)
- Zanamivir – (commerce title Relenza)
Remember, these are antivirals – antibiotics don’t struggle any virus together with the flu or COVID.
What Are Some Flu Symptoms To Look Out For In Kids?
Watch out for the signs listed above, and search medical assist instantly in case your youngster is exhibiting any of the next:
- Fast respiratory or bother respiratory
- Bluish lips or face
- Ribs pulling in with every breath
- Chest ache
- Severe muscle ache (youngster refuses to stroll)
- Dehydration (no urine for 8 hours, dry mouth, no tears when crying)
- Not alert or interacting when awake
- Fever above 104 °F
- In kids lower than 12 weeks, any fever
- Fever or cough that improves however then returns or worsen
- Worsening of continual medical circumstances
Help by Taking this Survey
Med-IQ is conducting an nameless survey and would respect your enter. The survey, which incorporates extra schooling on this matter, will take lower than 15 minutes to finish.
Once you’ve accomplished the survey, you should have the choice of offering your e-mail tackle to be entered right into a drawing administered by SOMA Strategies to win 1 of 10 $100 VISA reward playing cards.
If you select to enter, your e-mail tackle will probably be used solely to randomly draw the winners and notify them of their prize, and to ship a follow-up survey as a part of this similar initiative.
Survey responses are shared solely in mixture. Your responses to those survey questions will present Med-IQ with necessary details about your experiences with pediatric influenza, which can assist us develop future instructional initiatives.
Our subsequent reco: Is it COVID? Is it a chilly? Is it the flu? Help!